POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sailing! : Re: Sailing! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sailing!
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 31 Jul 2014 21:01:42
Message: <53dae6f6$1@news.povray.org>

> Am 31.07.2014 23:05, schrieb Francois Labreque:

>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig8ilsiloVE
>>>
>>> Fascinating when a good wind blows like the last couple of days.
>>>
>>> Thomas
>> Two questions:
>> 1 - What are the big planks on the sides of the boats? Are they
>> daggerboards? and if so, why are they on the sides of the boat, rather
>> than on the center of the hull?
>
> Why should they be on the center? They work just as fine at the sides.
> With the added avantage of not having to cut a gaping hole right into
> the bottom of the wooden hull :-P

I figure that having an essential part of your boat out there in the
open where it can easily get caught on other boats, floating
tree-trunks, etc, would be a disadvantage, especially if these boats are
made for navigation in crowded waters, as Dr. John mentions.

Also, I've sailed boats from 3m-long Optimists, to 50m long sea-going
cats that had no problem with the gaping hole in the middle of the hull. ;)