POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Those who wait : Re: Those who wait Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Those who wait
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 31 Jul 2014 09:16:23
Message: <53da41a7$1@news.povray.org>

> On 30/07/2014 09:13 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Trouble is, those mini fluorescent things take about quarter of an hour
>>> to turn on...
>>
>> They must be *very* old ones then. Even the 99p ones that Tesco were
>> selling a while back turn on instantly. Given the price of them, and
>> even the price of LED lights now, it's pretty much a no-brainer to just
>> throw all your incandescent bulbs in the bin immediately.
>
> I have yet to see a fluorescent bulb that works instantly. Oh, they all
> strike instantly, but it takes about quarter of an hour for them to
> "warm up" to the point where they produce any appreciable quantity of
> light.

For sufficiently small values of "an hour".  Unless it's -5C in your
living room, CFLs should warm up within a minute or so.

> And even then, they always seem a bit dark.

YMMV.  I have 2 100W-equivalent in my basement, and I can barely look at
them without seeing spots after I turn my eyes.

> LEDs sound like a nice idea, but the light they produce is usually very
> directional, and they're not really bright enough. You'd need to coat
> your whole ceiling with them.

I don't get this.  Here, we have warnings that LEDs are too bright and
can actually injure your eyes if you look directly at them.

> As a matter of fact, my new flat has LED downlighters in the ceiling of
> the kitchen. Consequently, no matter where you stand, you are ALWAYS
> casting a shadow over the work surface.

Just turn on radiosity, that will solve the problem.
;)