POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Those who wait : Re: Those who wait Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Those who wait
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 30 Jul 2014 18:00:08
Message: <53d96ae8$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/07/2014 09:13 AM, scott wrote:
>> Trouble is, those mini fluorescent things take about quarter of an hour
>> to turn on...
>
> They must be *very* old ones then. Even the 99p ones that Tesco were
> selling a while back turn on instantly. Given the price of them, and
> even the price of LED lights now, it's pretty much a no-brainer to just
> throw all your incandescent bulbs in the bin immediately.

I have yet to see a fluorescent bulb that works instantly. Oh, they all
strike instantly, but it takes about quarter of an hour for them to
"warm up" to the point where they produce any appreciable quantity of
light. And even then, they always seem a bit dark. As inefficient as
incandescent lights are, at least they WORK. There are many people who
hate the mini flourescents with a fire passion.

LEDs sound like a nice idea, but the light they produce is usually very
directional, and they're not really bright enough. You'd need to coat
your whole ceiling with them.

As a matter of fact, my new flat has LED downlighters in the ceiling of
the kitchen. Consequently, no matter where you stand, you are ALWAYS
casting a shadow over the work surface. A normal light, suspended just
below the ceiling and throwing light in all directions, doesn't seem to
suffer this problem nearly as much.