POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Those who wait : Re: Those who wait Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Those who wait
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Jul 2014 14:07:53
Message: <53d93479@news.povray.org>
On 7/30/2014 6:00 AM, scott wrote:
>> No way.

> I think whatever brightness you want is available, within reason. The
> problem is likely the cheap standard ones are 40W or 60W equivalents,
> and they're probably lying a bit with those claims too. I'm pretty sure
> I've seen some monster 150W and 200W equivalents.
>
> And the problem with LEDs is that you can't get a 100W equivalent LED
> (about 10W) in a package the size of a standard bulb - it just generates
> too much heat and would cook itself. So you need to use more bulbs, we
> have two 5x5W fittings in our living room so it was perfect for
> switching to LED and reducing the power from 400W down to 50W, but it
> only made financial sense because those lights are normally on for
> several hours every day.

Well, you could.. But you would have to a) add a heat sink, b) use
higher end LED which are way brighter than the ones usually found in
those things, and c) throw out the transformer setup on them, and go
with a straight DC power connection, with the right voltage range.
Since, short of wiring your house yourself to provide 5v and 12v lines,
instead of 220, or the local equivalent, none of these things are going
to happen any time soon...

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get