POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Those who wait : Re: Those who wait Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Those who wait
From: scott
Date: 30 Jul 2014 06:00:38
Message: <53d8c246$1@news.povray.org>
> When you have a single fixation system for the bulb, maybe.
> But here (France !), I have two different system: screwing or bayonet mount.
>
> So, it's not just "count, buy the number of bulbs and replace", each
> mounting system must be checked and counted separatly.

Also in the UK we have by no means a single system, I have at least
three types in my house. The traditional bayonet is IIRC in all the
bedrooms, there are screw-fit "candle" bulbs in the downstairs rooms,
and those spot-light bulbs with prongs on in the kitchen. I kept all the
bayonets as fluorescents as they hardly get used (max 1 hour per day),
but converted the spots and candle bulbs to LED as they see much more
use and I could get my money back in under a year. It wasn't that tricky
to count them and order the different types.

> Moreover, the impact of trashing still working apparatus is still a bit
> disturbing.

If you feel uncomfortable throwing them away, you could sell them
(although that might be illegal now?), give them away or fit them in
places that you very rarely use (eg attic or cupboard or something).

> I heard I'm not in the only country with such dual system. And bayonet
> is the best system for customer, despite the extra-cost of the receiving
> device (it's more than just a foil of metal pushed by a press). It's
> easier to put and remove a bulb, and there is no tension on the external
> body.

The other thing about threaded bulbs is that there is the chance they
come loose over time due to the heat cycling of the thread. With bayonet
it is impossible to come loose.