POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jul 2014 22:35:15
Message: <53d5b6e3$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:01:47 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

>> What we need to do, I think, is instill the idea that actions speak
>> louder than words in the youth.
>>
> That is what lawyers, smear campaigns, public image consultants and
> keeping your own life as private as possible, while digging up someone
> else's as much as possible, are for, right?

Well, that brings up another issue, though - the news media telling
people what to think instead of reporting the actual facts.

>> Someone who's all in favor of "family values" but is actually a serial
>> cheating scumbag can be judged based on what they do, not what they say
>> they believe.
>>
> Snort.. Well, first of, I don't buy, myself, into the BS idea that the
> nuclear family is anything but a fiction, that people don't cheat a lot,
> and just fail to get caught, that relationships are some magic thing
> that last forever, or a long list of other things that would be required
> for the term "family values" to even mean a damn thing in the first
> place.

Well, there are ideals that we can strive towards, certainly.  The
problem I have is when some politicians hold their opponents to a
standard and then it turns out that they've not lived their own lives to
that standard.

I've been lucky - not perfect, but lucky - and have a strong, stable
relationship that is a lasting relationship.

> Whether or not someone cheats on their wife, even serially
> doesn't say a damn thing about anything else they do. I would,
> personally vote for a bloody swinger, polyamorist, etc., if their ideas
> where not complete bullshit.

That's the thing - I'm more interested in the ideas than the
personality.  Someone who's got a track record of implementing ideas I
can get behind is someone I can vote for.  If they have problems keeping
it in their pants, well, as long as that doesn't affect their ability to
do their job, it's not my business.

> It would be really refreshing to deal with adults, instead of people
> that instantly become petulant 6 year olds, the moment someone is caught
> playing with someone else's toy.

Yes.  This.

Jim