POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jul 2014 22:29:15
Message: <53d5b57b$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:15:41 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 7/27/2014 4:43 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 16:34:10 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>
>>>   But, you nailed the real issue straight on. The only time
>>> they change their opinions, only, not really, is if they think it
>>> might somehow damage their chances of being reelected.
>>
>> Yep.
>>
>> It's like the phrase "representative democracy" means "our constituents
>> represent our views" (hence gerrymandering) rather than the other way
>> around.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> So, how long do you think it will be before "representative" comes to
> mean, "We frame a copy of a constitution, as a 'representation' of what
> we imagine the country should be like, but put a caption some place on
> it that says, 'Actual model may not reflect plans.'?" lol

Good question, hopefully it won't come to that.

> BTW, interesting fact from Arizona. Seems they have decided that an ID
> needs to be updated to be valid, for someone that is 21, regardless of
> which state issued it. So, as of June 24th, in Arizona, it doesn't
> matter if you have an ID, or license, which shows that you are 21 now,
> if you showed up from, say NY, with 4 year old ID, but which is still
> valid until, say 2015, which said you turned 21 yesterday, you have **no
> right** in Arizona to purchase alcohol, because your ID, is deemed
> "invalid" for that purpose, since there is more than a 30 day difference
> between the issuance date, and the time you turned 21.
>
> Yep, you can't get a new one, short of going home, you have the right,
> based on the law, to purchase, but you can't without the ID, which is
> now deemed invalid, due to you not updating it, which you didn't know
> you needed to do, before coming to the state..
>
> Rights? Oh, those are those things that they say you have, but you
> don't, unless they say they will let you have them, or have paid the
> right fee for? Got it...

That's actually something broader that I've wondered about for a while -
after I got laid off 3 years ago, I found that I had misplaced my social
security card.  To get it replaced, I needed a photo ID, and my passport
was also expired, and I needed to renew my driver's license that year.

Now, in order to get a new social security card, an expired passport is
considered legal ID.  But it isn't for a driver's license.  But a social
security card *is* (which,for those outside the US, is a form of ID that
isn't a photo ID).

So ....

I had to renew my social security card first, then I could renew my
driver's license, and then I could renew my passport, as I recall.  All
because the feds will take an expired passport but the state wouldn't.

My wife's driver's license was an entirely different fiasco.  Her legal
name is "Amelia", but that's not the name on her birth certificate.  When
she renewed her driver's license in Utah (2 months before we moved and
had to renew in Utah before moving to Washington - and then having to get
a new license here), they told her because her license and her passport
were expired, she had to have the incorrect name on her license.  EVEN
THOUGH her previous license had her correct legal name on it.  Her
passport also had her correct legal name on it, but because the passport
was expired, the DMV wouldn't accept it as valid ID either.

So she got it done with the wrong name on it.  We moved, and Washington
did the same thing - current license has the wrong name on it, renewed
passport hadn't arrived yet, so they issued it with the wrong name.

In spite of actually having expired documentation with the correct name
on it, neither state would issue her a correct driver's license.

Jim