POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Jul 2014 18:38:42
Message: <53d42df2$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 07:13:39 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 26/07/2014 00:31, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 01:19:55 +0200, clipka wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, reading Stephen's posting more carefully: Maybe no. Germany
>>> /has/ more churches than hospitals, but whether more /new/
>>> churches are being built than hospitals is difficult to tell.
>>
>> Hmm, fair point.
>>
>> I think right now in the Seattle area, though, there aren't any new
>> hospitals being built, but I'd be surprised if there weren't any new
>> churches being built.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> As you know it was also a metaphor.
> Churches, hospitals. Apples, oranges.

Well, yeah, but it's an interesting question as a non-metaphor.

> Hospitals need to be centralised to share the expensive machinery that
> goes Beep!
> Churches serve smaller communities, except for cathedrals and the like.
>
> Religion is the pillar of a lot of peoples lives. And a big distraction.
> IMO they have their priorities wrong.

Agreed.

I've reached the point of being an atheist with the point of view that
"if there is a supernatural world, and a deity that judges you when you
die, then if that deity's judgment is based not on you being a good
person but based on how much you worshiped the deity without evidence -
well, fuck 'em."

I'd rather be a good person than waste my life worshiping something just
to have a shot at beating Pascal's Wager.

> In the UK the established churches are loosing influence with quite a
> few buildings being de-sanctified and sold off. To become temples to
> those other gods, food and drink. Hospitals are lurching from one crises
> to the next. Almost as if it (NHS) is being decommissioned. And to be
> sold off the the Temple of Mammon.
> Bitter! Moi?

Nah, I'm not seeing you being bitter *at all* about it. ;)

Jim