POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A programmer's etymology : Re: A programmer's etymology Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A programmer's etymology
From: scott
Date: 25 Jul 2014 02:56:41
Message: <53d1ffa9$1@news.povray.org>
> The only way to obfuscate the usage of a boolean would be to put more
> complex code everywhere that uses that boolean, instead making it do
> more complicated operations.

Indeed, that is what I was getting at.

> Also, if the obfuscator blindly converts all the booleans and other
> integrals this way,

Yes, it's probably not a good idea to just blindly obfuscate every
boolean and integer this way, only the ones you want protected from
external tampering.

> Anyways, it seems a poor way to protect your compiled binary. A determined
> hacker is going to hack it no matter what.

I think that's only true if it's a really popular piece of software (eg
decoding blurays or Adobe/MS products etc), if it's something obscure
then you only want to make it hard enough that they give up and move on
to something else. Especially if you randomly change the obfuscation
algorithm every time you release an minor update, the hackers simply
can't be bothered to keep up.