POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A programmer's etymology : Re: A programmer's etymology Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A programmer's etymology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jul 2014 11:05:58
Message: <53d120d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/07/2014 03:03 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> The C++ code is also obfuscated, but so far we haven't run into any bugs
>> with that.
>
> Why would you want to obfuscate a compiled language?

1. C# and Java are both "compiled languages". You don't (usually)
compile them to machine-code, but they're certainly compiled.

2. You obfuscate ANY language, compiled or not, to make it harder for a
human to figure out what it does.

It's a lot more obvious why you'd want to obfuscate, say, JavaScript.
(It's trivial for anybody to read the source code.) But I'm sure a quick
Internet search will turn up software that can transform machine code
back into valid C or C++ source code. (It won't be identical to the
original of course - THAT is provably impossible - it it'll be vaguely
readable.)