POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A programmer's etymology : Re: A programmer's etymology Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A programmer's etymology
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 24 Jul 2014 10:48:26
Message: <53d11cba$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/07/2014 13:31, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> First, whether the code is obfuscated or not makes absolutely no
> different to the honest customer. None whatsoever. If anything, it just
> makes *my* life more painful when it doesn't work right.

If it does not work, as a honest customer, it makes a difference.
At least, it's a bad experience, even if the cause is not identified.

> Also: Isn't BRD DRM exactly like DVD DRM? (I.e., trivial to bypass.) Do
> you refuse to buy DVDs for the same reason?

Not at all. DVD DRM have multiple weakness, including now leaked keys.
The impact of DVD is limited to the support and its reader.

BRD DRM are far more painful, as they propagates along HDMI.
Let say you have a fully working setting (reader---tv set).
One day you had a new device on an unrelated entry of the tv set, and
the reader stops displaying your movies.

More interesting: you just have reader+tv, you play a disc, and from
that moment, your tv will refuse to display any protected content. (disc
can contains revocation lists... your tv have been revoked due to some
decision about the brand... bad luck, you're toasted, it is your tv, but
not the one you think you bought anymore)

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)