POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A programmer's etymology : Re: A programmer's etymology Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A programmer's etymology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jul 2014 06:16:35
Message: <53d0dd03@news.povray.org>
>> The idea is to make it less trivial to reverse-engineer our code and
>> steal all our secrets.
>
> Because security by obfuscation has always worked so well...

The goal is to make it too much effort to be worth bothering, not to
make it impossible. (Clearly if the code runs, it MUST be possible to
reverse-engineer it if you try hard enough.)

Given the tiny market our product targets, there probably aren't too
many people who are going to bother.

> What programming language are we talking about, btw?

C#.

I gather it used to be "trivial" to decompile CIL back into C#, but
since lots of code auto-generation has been added to C#, it's now a lot
less trivial.

As I say, I suspect all anybody really cares about is can they hack our
licensing code? (The answer is pretty much "yes", obfuscation or not.)

The C++ code is also obfuscated, but so far we haven't run into any bugs
with that.