POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A programmer's etymology : Re: A programmer's etymology Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A programmer's etymology
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jul 2014 06:14:37
Message: <53d0dc8d$1@news.povray.org>
>> The idea is to make it less trivial to reverse-engineer our code and
>> steal all our secrets.
>
> So, you are on the poor-side of companies. Richer companies have a
> full-time team with lawyers to track and sue such events.

You can't sue somebody unless you catch them.

Given that we can't even tell which (if any) of our *paying* customers
are still using the product... you get the picture.

> Maybe interpreted language is not the right choice if you want to
> protect your code. That's where compiled language have an advantage: the
> compilation with full optimisation is already an obfuscation. There is
> decompiler... like there is deobfuscater. And they are pretty smart on
> small code.
>
> It's one of the three Java issues (Java is about sharing... keeping
> secret is not sharing, so the choice of the language for your project
> was an error), at least for secretive software. But that's another story.

It's not Java, it's C#. And it's not interpreted, it's a hybrid; compile
a high-level language into a lower-level language, and then interpret
(or rather JIT-compile) that. I gather that in early versions of C#, it
was utterly trivial to recompile CIL back into valid C#, but in later
version of C# it has become a lot less trivial.

But hey, you try explaining that to the PHB. All he wants to hear is "we
spent 8 years developing this stuff, I don't want somebody to press one
button, and be able to steal all our hard work". Not, of course, that an
obfuscater necessarily does that; I hear there are 1-click deobfustation
tools out there...