POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : EU roaming charges : Re: EU roaming charges Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:31:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EU roaming charges
From: scott
Date: 15 Jul 2014 09:40:35
Message: <53c52f53$1@news.povray.org>
> There is no such thing as "EU law".

Then I blame the media for headlines such as "EU votes XXX into law" :-)

> So there's essentially two (or even three) questions that would need to
> be answered:
>
> (1) Does the corresponding law in the UK forbid such loopholes? (Or, if
> the law isn't entirely clear about this: (1b) Does the jurisdiction in
> the UK typically interpret the law as forbidding such loopholes?)

I can't immediately find any corresponding UK law - they probably used
some legalese instead of the word "roaming"...

> (2) Does the EU directive forbid such loopholes?

Again I can't find the related directive, the wikipedia external link is
broken and trying to search directly didn't bring up anything useful.

> If yes, then consumers' organizations might have enough leverage to
> enforce a change of UK law. Nonetheless, the company still isn't doing
> anything wrong, and won't be until the changed UK law would come into
> effect.

It's not a big problem, it's probably my fault for not checking the
detail of the package I signed up to, but I just assumed that the
roaming caps announced would override any previous contracts I had
agreed to with my provider.

It worked the other way for my gf. Her texts are normally 15p or
something, yet abroad she was charged 6p - go figure!