POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) : Re: Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:29:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Jul 2014 17:00:05
Message: <53b9b8d5$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:51:47 +0100, Doctor John wrote:

> What do you call your machines?

Places in the Hitchhiker's Guide universe.  I've been doing that for
years, but I might have to start recycling them; the PS3 is Alosimanos
Syneca (which is really too long a name for a system).  That said, there
are plenty of good candidates I haven't used yet.

My personal laptop has two names - Brequinda when it's running Linux, and
Bethselamin when it's running Windows.  (Bethselamin doesn't run very
often).

The desktop is Lamuella.

My server is Krikkit (I've actually reused that name, as I migrated the
data from one system to another).

My old cell phone is Voondon.  The new one (a Galaxy S5) seemed content
as "Galaxy" (technically not a named place in H2G2, but it's my naming
schema, so I'll use it if I like).

The Raspberry Pi is Xaxis.  It's possible the name for the incoming
Macbook will be Zirzla, but I haven't decided yet (the company names them
things like "mbp-jhenderson" - at least that's what the one that's being
replaced is called).

I had used Magrathea at one point, as well as Damogran (though I think
that was a short-lived system).  Megadodo (while not a place name, still
a good name) also was a print server at once time (seemed appropriate).

Come to think of it, my tablet doesn't have a name yet.  Shame on me, I
need to fix that.

Jim