POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Publishing : Re: Publishing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Publishing
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 16 Jun 2014 16:13:19
Message: <539f4fdf$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2014-06-16 14:39, Orchid Win7 v1 a écrit :
>>> DocBook is an XML standard. So - in theory - it's "trivial" to make it
>>> do what you want.
>>>
>>> ...in reality, I found it hellishly difficult to change even the tiniest
>>> detail about it. Perhaps it would be simpler to rewrite the XSLT from
>>> scratch rather than try to figure out how it works.
>>
>> Right, because RTFMing is impossible...
>
> Most things to do with XML are hard. For whatever reason, XML is
> absurdly overcomplicated, considering what it actually does.

Convince your boss to buy you this:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596805012.do

But what's so complicated about:

<chapter>
<title>Lorem ipsum</title>
<para>dolor sit amet</para>
</Chapter>

There's also wiki.docbook.org, but it seems to be running on an ailing
386...  I gave up waiting for it, just to rebuke someone on a newsgroup.

http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/#entities
http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/#faq-authoring-general-entities

> Similar fun with XInclude. The manual tells you that XInclude is a great
> way to make modular documents - and so much better than the old entity
> workaround we used to recommend you use. Except, you know what? My XML
> validator and my XSLT processor both POINT-BLANK INGORE any and all
> XInclude declarations. Isn't that wonderful?

Upgrade?

http://www.docbook.org/docs/howto/#editors

>> The problem is not with the tool. The problem is with what you're
>> telling your tool to do (or not telling it to do). As I said in my other
>> response, any word processor younger than you is able to print crisp
>> Arial 16pts or justify text properly.
>
> Yes, but can it render the chapter titles in a blue box with rounded
> corners and a fuzzy drop-shadow? Probably not.

The fuzzy drop shadow and rounded corners are not part of the CSS
specification (yet!), so it would require tinkering (ex: running the XML
through a preprocessor to convert every TITLE block into a table that
has specific images as a background), but it's not impossible.

For the rest:

//Andy.css
CHAPTER TITLE	{
	background-color: blue;
	color: white;
	font-family: Arial Verdana Sand-serif;
	font-variant: small-caps;
	font-weight: bold;
	font-size: 24pt;
	}

and then use that stylesheet when processing your .xml file.

>> Your current manual looks impressive? You like its look? Then recreate
>> the same thing with something you're familiar with, if you can't wrap
>> your head around InDesign, or DocBook.
>
> As I say, I can't actually put my finger on exactly what it is about the
> current manual that makes it look so good. It probably isn't any one
> particular thing, it's the cumulative total of many, many small things...
>
>> But the more important thing is - as you mention - the quality of the
>> content. Start by writing good content in Notepad (or vi, or gedit, or
>> whatever) so that you can focus on the content.
>>
>> Then import that text into some document formatting tool and apply the
>> styles you have chosen to it.
>
> Whilst I agree wholeheartedly, if we write a whole bunch of content as
> (say) TeX input and then decide that actually our tool of choice wants
> XML (or vice versa)...

Which is why you shouldn't write it with ANY output format or tool in
mind.  Think a big README.TXT

> That's kind of why I'd like to pin down exactly what tool we're going to
> use. Once we start the rewrite, I only want to do it once.

While it's not a bad idea to have an idea of where you're going, it
shouldn't be your main consideration yet.  You should focus on making
the documentation up to date, first.

> Still, I could sit down and look at the high-level document structure -
> that's very easy to change for any tool.

Yep.