POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Publishing : Re: Publishing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Publishing
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 16 Jun 2014 08:57:29
Message: <539ee9b9@news.povray.org>

> The other problem,
> of course, is that it's hard to make really polished ODF files in the
> first place. ;-)

No it's not.  It only requires a bit of planning, and military
enforcement of the rules, if you have multiple editors.

>> Alternatively, many programs nowadays support
>> version control. Did you check if InDesign does?
>
> As I say, nobody here seems to know how to work InDesign. It wouldn't
> surprise me if our current workflow can be significantly improved just
> by changing how the document it set up...

Yes.

I don't know InDesign, but I knew a few of its ancestors.

Just as CSS with HTML, or a complex software program, you need a plan
and _you need to stick to it_.

- Define styles (ex: title, subtitles, section heading, text, code,
examples,etc...) *AND USE TO THEM*  No more "I know the subtitle is
Arial 14 pts, bold, so I'll manually change the properties of that
sentence."
- Create page templates (left side should look like this, right side
should look like that, first page of a chapter should look like that,
etc...)
- Put section titles macros in the headers, and page number macros in
the footers.
- Generate the table of contents automatically.
- Put someone in charge of maintaining the manual.  He or she can (and
should) accept input from the rest of the team, but he or she has the
last word on the format.
- That someone should have a backup, in case of vacations or wild bus
rampage.

Tada!

Whether you use WordPerfect 5.1, vi and LaTex, emacs, Office365, or the
latest Adobe Creative Suite, the above rules will have your manual at
least look decent.