POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Publishing : Re: Publishing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Publishing
From: andrel
Date: 14 Jun 2014 15:17:02
Message: <539C9FA7.4050904@gmail.com>
On 14-6-2014 19:39, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 14/06/2014 04:51 PM, andrel wrote:
>> For the source control part...
>> Both .docx and .odt are in fact zip containers that contain the images
>> and the content in different files. In theory you could extract the
>> content part, put that under revision control.
>
> Yeah, but that probably won't work well in practice.
>
> For example, we use a system called SpecFlow where you write integration
> tests in psuedo-English, and an external DLL transforms that into C#
> code. Both the source and the generated C# code are in source control.
> But the trouble is, if you insert or remove a single line in the
> SpecFlow file, the *entire* C# file changes. (Every line of the
> generated file is annotated with the corresponding line number in the
> SpecFlow file.)
>
> I rather suspect that when you save an ODF file, the editor rebuilds the
> entire file and it won't look anything like what it did before. (I
> haven't tried, but I suspect that's what'll happen.) The other problem,
> of course, is that it's hard to make really polished ODF files in the
> first place. ;-)

it is clear that you haven't checked ;)
I made a little document saved it as .odt and opened it as .zip.
In it is the content.xml file that after a lot of presumable
initialization contains (I added some newlines):

--------contents.xml---------------
.
.
.

<text:h text:style-name="Heading_20_1" text:outline-level="1">This is a
file for andy</text:h><text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body"/>

<text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">Add a mascot below</text:p>

<text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">
<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="graphics1"
text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="5.292cm" svg:height="8.255cm"
draw:z-index="0">
<draw:image
xlink:href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/RoyalRegimentWalesGoat_gobeirne.jpg/200px-RoyalRegimentWalesGoat_gobeirne.jpg"

xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad"/>
</draw:frame>
</text:p>

<text:p text:style-name="Text_20_body">see, it is above </text:p>
.
.
.
-----------end contents.xml------------

Easy enough to understand, to modify and to repackage. The image was
added as a link. If you add it to the document it will be in a directory
local to the zip file.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.