POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Iso surface : Re: Iso surface Server Time
3 May 2024 03:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iso surface
From: Alain
Date: 31 May 2014 14:47:58
Message: <538a23de@news.povray.org>

> "MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Do you use anti aliasing?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Michael
>>
>> Sorry, I was in a hurry as I posted the first time and I wanted to give you a
>> quick hint. I rendered your example without anti aliasing (aa) and with the
>> aa-standard shipped with the Windows version. The first test yielded annoying
>> "steps" at the curved surface, the second a much more smooth result.  If you are
>> a Linux user, you should use an ini-file to specify the aa-settings. Something
>> like this should help:
>>
>> Antialias=on
>>
>> Antialias_Threshold=0.3
>> Antialias_Depth=9
>> Input_File_Name=isotest.pov
>>
>> Width=1920
>> Height=1080
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Michael
>
> Hello Michael,
> Thanks for the help. I will try using antialiasing. Were you able to get smooth
> surface with your code?
>
> Regards
> Avan

That should give prety smooth results in most cases. Using
Antialias_Depth=9 is very probably overkill, a value of 3 or 4 is usualy
enough. There is a default value that will be used if you don't set
Antialias_Depth.

To get smoother results, reducing Antialias_Threshold is normaly all
that you need. Keep it larger than 0.0 or your render time will
skyrocket as each pixel will get uselessly antialiased...

Alain