POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You work in computers don’t_you? : Re: You work in computers don’t you? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You work in computers don’t you?
From: clipka
Date: 29 May 2014 07:12:45
Message: <5387162d@news.povray.org>
Am 29.05.2014 09:05, schrieb scott:
>> Andrew! Remember when DVD writers cost about £1000?
>
> My first CD *reader* was about £250 IIRC, an external one that plugged
> into the parallel port (with a pass-through so you could still use a
> printer).

That sounds awfully slow; then again it was probably single-speed, so
the parallel port may not have been a bottleneck after all.

My first CD drive (hey, it wasn't explicitly called a "reader" back
then) was internal, connecting to the famous SoundBlaster card. IIRC it
was already 4x speed or some such.