POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheddar Gorge, anyone? : Re: Cheddar Gorge, anyone? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheddar Gorge, anyone?
From: Doctor John
Date: 27 May 2014 19:20:08
Message: <53851da8$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/05/14 23:27, Warp wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 May 2014 23:07:01 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>> A country edition.
>>>
>>> Pigswill.
>
>> Stilton
>
> Damned if I understand what's happening here.

Swift set of rules from H2G2:
> Cheddar Gorge is a game featured on the Radio 4 program I'm sorry I haven't a clue.
>
> How Do I Play?
>
> It's really easy. The first player chooses a word to start a sentence. Subsequent
players add a word to continue the sentence in a coherent manner. The only catch is,
your word cannot be construed as ending the sentence - if it can, you lose.

> Can I see an example?
>
>     Player 1: The
>     Player 2: large
>     Player 3: dog
>     Player 1: chased
>     Player 2: a
>     Player 3: ball
>
> Player 3 loses, because the sentence 'The large dog chased a ball', contain as it
does, subject, object and verb. S/he need not have lost, because they could have
continued the sentence with an adjective, like red, but they didn't.

> For someone to lose, there has to be a challenge, by the next player. As a player,
you lose if

> 1) You have completed a sentence
>
> or
>
> 2) You have played in such a way that the sentence cannot be finished as a piece of
grammatical English.

> The player whose turn it is can make either of these challenges against the previous
player - the previous player loses if, in case (1), the sentence is completed, or in
case (2) they cannot, within one post, produce a valid English sentence starting with
the words already played. Any form of 'creative punctuation' is fair game, as long as
the final sentence makes grammatical sense. If they can make a valid sentence, the
challenger loses.

> In any case, once a challenge is issued that game is over, and the challenger plays
the first word of the next game while the completed game awaits adjudication by the
tournament referee.

> Once you have played a word, you take responsibility for all the preceding words -
if the sentence couldn't be completed, and you add a word, the next player challenges
you, not the person who made the play which first rendered the sentence uncompletable.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents