POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You work in computers don’t_you? : Re: You work in computers don’t you? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:29:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You work in computers don’t you?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 May 2014 19:38:00
Message: <5383d058$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 26 May 2014 22:35:48 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> When I put a Video disc in it did not recognise that there was a disc
>> mounted at all. “Insert a disc”. I put a Windows 7 disc in. And
>> although it said that it could not run the programme it did read the
>> file structure.
>
> A video DVD is merely a data DVD using the UDF filesystem, containing
> files with specific names. It's not like CDs where an audio-mode CD and
> a data-mode CD have a totally different structure. I can believe that
> the device won't *play* a video DVD (that requires access to an MPEG-2
> codec, which usually requires actual *money), but I'm baffled as to how
> it fails to see the disk at all...
>
> ...unless this is a region-coding "thing"...

Not usually.  The disc usually shows up and the software says that it's
the wrong region and offers to burn one of the "change region" toggles in
the firmware, which is usually a limited number of times thing.

Unless you use Linux, in which case the software doesn't care, doesn't do
anything with the firmware, and just decodes the region the way it should
because region coding is a stupid idea. ;)

Jim