POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Deus Ex: Human Revolution : Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 26 May 2014 08:32:38
Message: <53833466$1@news.povray.org>
After spending about an hour trying to hack one terminal, I was
eventually reduced to looking up the code on the Internet. (It's 1080.)
It's only rated at level 3, but I just couldn't click all the buttons
fast enough. Is there something I'm missing?

When you hack a device, you get to look around at the network and plan
your route. But once you capture the first node, you then only have a
few seconds to get all the way to your goal. (In this particular case,
it seems the timer starts at 13 seconds.)

Complicating matters is the fact that this particular device has two
registries to capture, each of which is only accessible via a single
one-way route. So you have to take TWO paths simultaneously. Fortunately
you can capture multiple nodes at once. Unfortunately, it's very hard to
watch the progress of both nodes and click the next node on the correct
path near-instantly as soon as the current one finishes capturing. My
brain just can't react fast enough.

I have (or had) a STOP! virus. But given that I've never even got CLOSE
to the end of either path before being booted out, adding a few more
seconds to the clock seems unlikely to help much. I need to DOUBLE the
available time or something!

Also: Lots of these networks have extra bonus nodes that you can capture
for extra points or whatever. But given that it's usually extremely hard
to complete a successful hack at all, why would you ever go after the
optional stuff? That doesn't make sense to me.

The whole thing screams that I'm missing something obvious - something
that makes things drastically easier somehow. Who designs a game where
90% of the content is impossible to access? Nobody. So I must be missing
something here...