POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclideon Geoverse : Re: Euclideon Geoverse Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Euclideon Geoverse
From: scott
Date: 15 May 2014 04:47:25
Message: <53747f1d$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irf-HJ4fBls
>
> I'd seen about this thing a few years back, it's apparently legit.

I saw it a few years back too (maybe posted in here?) and was sceptical.
It certainly looks impressive and I'm still trying to figure out if this
really could be possible or not. Something like a tile-based LOD system
could work, games do this already with polygon and texture data (game
world size only limited by the storage media), no reason why it couldn't
work with point data.

As for the compression I was thinking along the lines of something
similar to the way mp3/jpeg drops information that probably won't be
noticed. You don't need to store every point at every detail level with
the full precision, and the point data could make use of the coarser
data (position and colour) from the next level up.

That just leaves how to get the million or so points that are in RAM on
the screen in the right place in the right order in a fraction of a
second. Are CPUs fast enough today to just simply draw every one with a
z-buffer? Seems like it could be made multi-threaded very easily, on the
rare occasion two threads try to write to the same pixel at the same
time it probably won't even be noticed if the pixel is the wrong colour.