POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclideon Geoverse : Re: Euclideon Geoverse Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Euclideon Geoverse
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 15 May 2014 03:21:45
Message: <53746b09$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/05/2014 10:15 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> On 2014-05-14 15:05, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> I can't imagine how you would make low-latency access direct from
>> low-bandwidth devices like spinning disks or network shares and yet at
>> the same time [...]
>
> The present day left a memo for you: they have solid-state hard drives
> now that are a bit faster than traditional spinning media.
>
> True, they're still kind of pricey, but they're out there in the wild
> and can be had for only about twice as much as a regular drive for the
> cheap ones.

All the PCs at work actually *have* these.

It turns out that while the seek times are drastically superior, most of
the cheap ones have write times far inferior to a spinning disk.
Bizarre, but true. Also, they seem to break much more frequently.

OTOH, if anybody tells you they can only withstand so many write cycles,
you can just ignore them. The laptop on my desk gets the entire drive
zero-wiped multiple times *per day*, every single day of the year (even
when I'm not in the building), and after over a year of this abuse, it's
still working just fine.