POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclideon Geoverse : Re: Euclideon Geoverse Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Euclideon Geoverse
From: Tim Cook
Date: 14 May 2014 17:12:38
Message: <5373dc46$1@news.povray.org>
On 2014-05-14 11:45, Warp wrote:
> "The reason why Euclideon is so quick to load is because we are actually
> running it straight from the hard drive instead of from the RAM."
>
> That sentence makes absolutely no sense. Firstly, you can't "run" anything
> directly from the hard drive (you could *read* data directly from the hard
> drive, but that's not "running"). Secondly, RAM is like a million times
> faster than any hard drive, so saying that it's faster because it's reading
> data directly from the hard drive rather than the computer's RAM makes no
> sense.

It makes more sense when you realise they're working with data that's a
few orders of magnitude larger than will even fit in RAM.  It's like
that large-image library...thing that lets you query a smaller region of
a few-ten-thousand-pixels-on-each-side image that can't possibly be
loaded all at once.

> If it's legit, they are doing a horrible, horrible job at advertising it
> properly.

For now...yeah.  Think it's mostly still in proof-of-concept stage.

--
T. Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com