POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Euclideon Geoverse : Re: Euclideon Geoverse Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Euclideon Geoverse
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 May 2014 16:05:17
Message: <5373cc7d$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/05/2014 05:45 PM, Warp wrote:
> If it's legit, they are doing a horrible, horrible job at advertising it
> properly.

I concur.

It sounded like BS the first time I saw it, several years ago. This new
video is much longer, but it still sounds like BS.

I can't imagine how you would make low-latency access direct from
low-bandwidth devices like spinning disks or network shares and yet at
the same time take up less space than the original data. The only way I
can think of that you could rapidly access billions of points and render
them in real-time is if you've precomputed stuff like crazy - and that
wouldn't give you any compression at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Add to that the need for ordering the data for sequential access, which
you can't do for *every* viewpoint simultaneously, and... this product
really, really sounds like fairydust.