POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Revolving : Re: Revolving Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revolving
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 May 2014 10:03:35
Message: <53679a37$1@news.povray.org>

> I knew there were at least 6 main plastic types.

No, there are two.  Thermosoftening and thermosetting plastics.  Each
type has thousands of different molecules.

> But 10,000? Really?
 > I can imagine you could have 10,000 different compounds, with different
 > additives in them to adjust how springy or brittle they are, etc. But
 > 10,000 fundamentally different molecules? Really?

Not necessarily.  Take the simplest plastics, such polyethylene, which
is just chains (called polymers) of ethylene molecules (called
monomers).  Depending on the length of the chains, you will have
different properties, hence different commercial applications.  LDPE and
HDPE behave quite differently.

Also, if you alternate monomers in your chain, you will have different
properties as well.  Nylon-4,6 behaves differently than Nylon-6,6 or
Nylon-6,9.

Etc.

 > most plastics melt if you pour boiling water on them, never mind
 > heating them to *hundreds* of degrees...

YABAMBA.

to Google, don't you?

> (Also, if this plastic as such a high melting point, how do you mould it
> in the first place??)

You realize the technology to melt metals - which have higher melting
points than plastics - has existed for millennia.

Also, look into "creep".  You don't need to melt it to be able to shape
it.  Just like a blacksmith doesn't have to melt iron into a liquid to
make horseshoes or a sword.

Finally, you *must* have come across pots and pans that have plastic
handles.  I'm sure these don't melt everytime you boil water.