POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Revolving : Re: Revolving Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revolving
From: Stephen
Date: 29 Apr 2014 16:09:51
Message: <5360070f$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/04/2014 9:23 AM, scott wrote:
> What you see today is them used in many places where they simply
> couldn't be used 30 years ago because plastics with the required
> performance didn't exist or were too expensive to manufacture. Car
> bumpers were metal or fibre-glass that got dented or cracked, pipes in
> your house were copper,

> Then there are all the things the consumer doesn't even notice. Like
> plastics that are easier to mould (more complicated shapes are possible
> to be made faster with finer details), possible to process in thinner
> films, flame retardants that are environmentally friendly, stronger and
> stiffer plastics that enable things to be made with less plastic for the
> same performance etc.

You did not mention easier to join and repair. No soldering and the
compression joints are barely tighter than finger tight. Small Stillsons
or pipe wrenches are all you need.

You don't often here anyone or anything being described as plastic in a
derogatory way, nowadays. The image has changed.

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.