POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Revolving : Re: Revolving Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revolving
From: Warp
Date: 23 Apr 2014 09:52:22
Message: <5357c596@news.povray.org>
> I wouldn't know about online video rentals. But I have noticed that
> YouTube used to be unreliable to the point of being useless (i.e., every
> 8 to 10 seconds it freezes to buffer some more data - moreso at busy
> times of the day), and the pictures used to be so utterly blurry that
> you can't even recognise people's faces. They do seem to have fixed that
> now, so there's that I guess...

I very often get the sense that you always look for the worst possible
interpretation of things (related to technology), and always try to see
the faults in things, and take things in the most negative way possible,
without even trying to investigate further or trying to find out if what
you think is not really how it is. I also have noticed that you seem to
like to generalize personal experience, is if it were true for everybody,
without even trying to find out if it is indeed the same for everybody or
whether it's just a local problem.

Some time ago the YouTube player changed so that it would be able to
switch to a higher or lower resolution version of the video on-the-fly,
depending on your connection speed. This, in my experience, has gone a
bit of back and forth in terms of what exactly it does, but you can still
see this in that if you manually change to a higher resolution it won't
pause the video, and instead will start downloading the higher resolution
stream and switch to it on-the-fly. Likewise (and especially) if your
connection is laggy, it will automatically switch to a lower-resolution
version of the stream that takes a lot less bandwidth.

If at some point you had a laggy connection for some reason, that's hardly
YouTube's fault.

--
                                                          - Warp