POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Revolving : Re: Revolving Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revolving
From: Warp
Date: 22 Apr 2014 18:27:39
Message: <5356ecdb@news.povray.org>
> I don't know, man. I think Internet speeds have now reached the point
> where page loading is near-instant, and any further boost is of no real
> benefit.

If you haven't noticed, YouTube has for some time supported
1920x1080 video. Likewise most online video rentals do so.

(While increase in resolution doesn't linearly correlate to bitrate
requirement with modern video compression techniques, the extra
details in full-HD video does obviously need a higher bitrate than
lower-resolution one, if you want any kind of finer detail preserved.)

> ...until you try to download a large file, but that's reasonably rare.
> Still, with Bioshock: Infinite clocking in at 17 GB, I'm sure glad of
> the speed on the rare occasions where I use it! o_O

It's nice when I buy such a game from Steam and it takes like an hour
to download instead of the 10 to 20 hours that it took not so many
years ago (when my internet connection was much slower.)

>  From what I've seen, the limitation is that all projectors work at
> 800x600, or if you buy an expensive one, 1024x768. Christ only knows why
> they don't make them in any higher resolutions...

I'm sure there are higher-resolution ones, but they are probably quite
expensive.

--
                                                          - Warp