POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 7 Apr 2014 16:53:47
Message: <5343105b@news.povray.org>
>> That bad, huh?
>>

> No, but if you have the option...
>
> I don't want my PC/Laptop to pretend it is an android device.

This appears to be the way everything is heading, though.

When we updated all our stuff to OpenSUSE 12.2, we found that it comes
with GNOME 3, which is basically just like GNOME 2, except designed to
only work on a Tablet. So that means only one window visible at once
(unless you go out of your way to force it to not do that for each
window you open), lots of scrolly menus, and half the buttons missing.

It's astonishing how many of the plugins for GNOME 3 are there to add
back all the features they took out. Stuff like a minimise button on the
windows, a list of open windows (without having to open a context menu
to see it), program launch icons on the main screen (again, without
having to open a context menu to get at them), and so on.

Of course, any time anyone changes anything, half the userbase wants it
back the way it was. But no, the astonishing thing is the number of
plugins that have been written given that NOT ONE SINGLE SHRED OF
DOCUMENTATION exists for how to do this. (Did I mention that the entire
shell is now written in JavaScript, and a "plugin" is nothing other than
JavaScript for live-patching the running shell??)

I suppose it's inevitable; the mobile device market is larger than the
dekstop market can ever hope to be. It is thus for more profitable. But
as a computer expert who wants to actually, you know, USE A COMPUTER
(and not just surf Facebook), I think all this terribly annoying...