POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I bought a new laptop : Re: I bought a new laptop Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:33:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I bought a new laptop
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Apr 2014 21:12:10
Message: <5341fb6a$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 21:27:49 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> Does anyone know of a "how to do things in Win8 that was easy in
>>> Win7",
>>> tutorial?
>>
>> fdisk
>>

> The thought has crossed my mind.

:)

>> Install openSUSE. ;)
>>

> I'm having enough trouble with a real OS. I don't want one that has more
> colours than a rainbow pub. Or changes more often than I change my
> underwear. ;-)

13.1 is a long term support release, so it won't need to be updated after
the end of the regular 18-month support cycle (other than being pointed
at the "Evergreen" repositories that make it an LTS release).

>> On a more serious note...
>>

> ^_^

I thought you'd like that. :)

>> 8.1 is /supposed/ to be better (I haven't looked at 8.1 myself yet).
>
> Don't bother.

That bad, huh?

> Also, ISTR that Microsoft may have allowed Win8
>> customers to install Win7 instead if they wanted, though I might be
>> remembering that incorrectly.
>>
> If that is true, it is an option. Although it does have some good
> points. Task manager is better and.. (I'll get back to you on the rest.)

LOL

> It took me forever (at least an hour to download a citrix plugin for ie
> 11 as... I don't know why "as". Somehow it was not happy using my
> hotmail address to verify who I was. Even though it is 15 years old. I
> have now lost count of my emails and logons). The machine is a bit
> faster than my old one.
> Benchmarks:
>
> Old m/c
>
> 8 CPU 00:9:01
>
> CPU time used: kernel 0.95 seconds, user 3893.77 seconds, total 3894.72
> seconds.
> Elapsed time 541.28 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 7.20.
> Render averaged 484.31 PPS (67.31 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels using
> 8 thread(s).
>
> New one:
>
> 1CPU 00:15:10 CPU time used: kernel 0.09 seconds, user 909.73 seconds,
> total 909.83 seconds.
> Elapsed time 910.65 seconds.
> Render averaged 287.87 PPS (288.12 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels
> using 8 thread(s).
>
> 8 CPU 00:3:39 CPU time used: kernel 0.25 seconds, user 1716.91 seconds,
> total 1717.16 seconds.
> Elapsed time 219.04 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 7.84.
> Render averaged 1196.81 PPS (152.66 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels
> using 8 thread(s).
>
> I don't quite understand the figures though.
>
> I am glad that I know a few k/board shortcuts or I would not be able to
> do anything.
>
> Enough moaning. I don't want to be an old fuddy duddy. Even though I am.

I know the feeling.  Not quite as fuddy or duddy, (you can have the crown
for fuddiness and for duddiness for now).  I'm starting a new contract
that runs through July 1 tomorrow, and the client is sending me a laptop
- could be Windows, could be a Mac.  I can work with either (the company
uses Macs almost exclusively), but I definitely prefer running Linux on
my systems.

Jim