POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Follow the bouncing object : Re: Follow the bouncing object Server Time
15 May 2024 11:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Follow the bouncing object
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Mar 2014 20:08:22
Message: <532e25f6$1@news.povray.org>
> object {Door (Room, Open) translate <x,y,z>}

Aha.  That makes sense.  The macro stuff that gets invoked is in a sort
of wrapper like a union, so I call it as an object{ }.
That helps a lot.

> This suggests to me that the rotation of the Door is not done at the
> origin and that some other transformation (another rotate? translate?)
> is done /before/ the macro is called.

Well, that would be the obvious thing to check, but I'm certain that's
not the case.  I originally just defined all the door elements however
their placement made sense in my mind at the time, and then did a big
face-palm when I realized that any hinged object ought to have the pivot
sitting atop the origin.  So I had to go back and fix it so that it was.
  And I used the cylinder as a reference object in the macro so i could
SEE where the origin in the macro definition was.
Plus, at the end of my include file, if the file is being run as a
standalone scene (ifdef) then it runs the macro and the door pops up
with the hinge right on the origin, so that's tested.

> Am not sure about that is exactly happening here. Could you provide a
> simple scene reproducing this?

Yes, I'll see what I can track down and debug, and let y'all know what
I'm mucking up.  An error shared is a future error avoided.  :)