POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Follow the bouncing object : Re: Follow the bouncing object Server Time
15 May 2024 10:05:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Follow the bouncing object
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Mar 2014 08:13:01
Message: <532d7e4d$1@news.povray.org>
On 22-3-2014 11:22, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I've got an object (a door) that I invoke as the result of a macro -
> Door (Room, Open)
> the door frame is labeled with the room number "Room", and the door is
> rotated/opened around the hinge by the degrees defined in the Open
> variable.
>
> This works smooth as butter in the include file.
> I'm not sure about the syntax of invoking this macro in the scene
> multiple times with translations
>
>      Door (Room, Open) translate <x,y,z>   ?

Not knowing how your macro is built, I assume that you should call it as:

object {Door (Room, Open) translate <x,y,z>}

> I tried that, and it gives me an error,
>      " Parse Error: No matching } in 'union', object found instead "
>
> brute-force pasting the guts of the macro (the frame object and the door
> object plus the text of the door number) works just fine.
>
> Fine meaning that the SDL runs, and I get a rendered scene, but I dunno
> where my door is.

This suggests to me that the rotation of the Door is not done at the
origin and that some other transformation (another rotate? translate?)
is done /before/ the macro is called.

[snip]
> I'm thinking I'm losing my Ping data because the location gets cleared
> when the include file "exits" and min_extent doesn't give me what I'm
> looking for...?

Am not sure about that is exactly happening here. Could you provide a
simple scene reproducing this?

Thomas