POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : need help with parametric surface : Re: need help with parametric surface Server Time
28 May 2024 17:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: need help with parametric surface
From: Alain
Date: 15 Mar 2014 16:16:15
Message: <5324b50f$1@news.povray.org>

> hi Alain,
>
> On 13/03/2014 00:21, Alain wrote:
>> You should go straight to version 3.7. That way, you won't need to
>> UNlearn some of those "ropes"...
>
> hmm, are you saying that the syntax for /existing/ SDL statements has
> changed from 3.6 to 3.7?

Some feature work in a slightly different way.
Some features have some alternative or optional syntax, like back side
illumination that is invoked be using 2 parameters for the diffuse value.
There are some bug fixes.
There are several workarounds that are no longer needed, of may actualy
cause some problems.
There are HUGE changes with radiosity.
Focal blur have been revamped and now work along with regular
antialiasing. It's also significatively faster.
The paremeters for irid work differently: They are now more closely
related to actual physical properties.
If you try to render some newer scenes that use new features that you
can find on the forums, it may abort with some error if you are still
using version 3.6.

>> It's somewhat faster, can take advantage of all cores on modern
>> computer, have several bug fixes, introduce some new features like
>> subsurface light transport and high dynamic range images as source
>> and output option.
>> It also have some improvements for focal blur and antialiasing.
>> The irid code is totaly redone as it was broken in version 3.6 ...
>
> I might (for now) miss out on bug fixes and new features, but that's ok
> for a learner; wrt multiple cores - I run Povray on a VM which is
> limited to 'see' 1 cpu and 1G RAM.

Version 3.6 NOT OK for a learner :( At least, it's no longer OK.

The learning curve is the same for both versions. Even if your VM
environment only expose a single CPU/core, there is no reason to stick
with version 3.6. Version 3.7 is the current OFFICIAL release.

Alain