POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That was fun - not : Re: That was fun - not Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That was fun - not
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Mar 2014 20:18:14
Message: <53224ac6$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 22:56:05 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

> On 12/03/14 18:32, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Yep, I try to give the techs the benefit of the doubt - as a Linux
>> user,
>> I know sometimes even if they know, they can't say (liability being
>> what it is) - had a discussion with one tech on the other call about
>> that as well.  He ended up giving me a pointer that worked, though he
>> really wasn't permitted to. :)
>>

> Sorry about the late reply. The Feegle has been having breathing
> difficulties recently and today the consultants recommended the knife
> (tonsils and adenoids). I (as the son of a surgeon) am not overly
> concerned but the Kat is - so, much discussion and reassurance.

Eep, I hope Feegle is doing better.  We've done the "child with breathing
difficulties" thing once (no surgery ended up being required - it was a
severe asthma attack - but it's still a scary thing), so I empathize.

We've had our own batch of unfortunate medical issues - mostly with the
two older cats (12 teeth to extract between the two of them and one who's
managed to cut the skin open on his right side, and we don't know how -
he's getting stitched up right now), and I had a trip to the ER last week
for a kidney stone.

> Back to the thread:
> Your experience not withstanding, it seems to me that most 1st-liners
> are just reading a script and few of them understand that there are more
> than 2 OSes.
> A long time ago, I was the National Training Director of a pair of large
> corporations (AirCall Communications and TeleData). One of the things
> that I fought for and won was not only a doubling of the training period
> but also a buddy-buddy system for the first month of their active
> working life so if they had a call they could not cope with they had an
> 'angel sitting on their shoulder'.

That's an excellent idea - I didn't know you had background in training -
I've done my own fair share of training development, delivery, and
managing programs.  Small world.

Jim