POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That was fun - not : Re: That was fun - not Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That was fun - not
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 12 Mar 2014 09:36:57
Message: <532062f9$1@news.povray.org>

> Unfortunately my ISP (who will remain unnamed but whose initials are BT)
> has seen it fit to outsource their call-centres to Mumbai and staff them
> with 1st-line "engineers" whose sole purpose is to avoid raising any
> tickets to 2nd-line or higher. Despite my explaining what the probable
> cause of the fault was (The telecomms switch-room is in the basement of
> my block of flats and it had been flooded a month ago. It was therefore
> likely that the various connectors had been corroded), it wasn't until I
> unilaterally raised my complaint to the office of the Customer Service
> Director that any action was taken.

Indians have a respect for authority that is almost as deeply rooted as
the Japanese's.  So low-level employees will stick to procedure and not
show any initiative, for fear of running afoul of higher ups.  Even if
the person you spoke to knew that you were probably right, he needed to
follow his script.