POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Curmudgeon's Response : Re: A Curmudgeon's Response Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Curmudgeon's Response
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 6 Mar 2014 13:46:22
Message: <5318c27e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I know audio nerve stimulation is a real thing that they've actually
>> tried to do. Of course, it's hard to tell how well it actually works...
>
> "Tried" to do?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant

As I say, it's difficult to decide how well it actually works. "Up to 22
electrodes" hardly compares to the several *million* nerve endings that
were there to start with. Short of deliberately making yourself deaf and
then installing one of these, it's difficult to figure out what this
sounds like to a person who knows what real sound is like.

Doing this with the eye would be a harder problem. (Although *actually*
the human eye doesn't have nearly the resolving power you think it does;
the crystal-clear high-resolution 3-dimensional image you perceive is
actually due to sophisticated signal processing rather than precision
optics.)

Having said all that, there was an experiment where subjects slowly
learned to "see" using their tongue. Experimenters placed electrodes
onto the tongue [which is naturally bathed in suitable electrolytes],
and projected a very low-resolution image onto them. Eventually subjects
learned to walk around without bumping into objects, and to have some
idea where the hell they're going. Weird, but true... I think they call
it "neuroplasticity".