POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Will POV-Ray survive World War III? : Re: Will POV-Ray survive World War III? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Will POV-Ray survive World War III?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Mar 2014 15:02:31
Message: <53138e57$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 11:43:05 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

> I'm not convinced that the crisis will escalate that far.

I would agree with this.  It's very premature to assume that the conflict
will go nuclear for some reason - Ukraine doesn't even have (to my
knowledge) any nukes left.

We have had potential military conflicts with Russia in the past -
Chechnya, Afghanistan (remember how the US funded/provided arms to the
Mujahadeen?  The Soviets knew that was happening, certainly).

This is likely nothing more than a game of high-stakes brinksmanship, as
usually happens in situations like that.  The majority of the Ukrainian
people certainly seem to want independence from Russia, and if Putin
doesn't relent, he's just going to have a bit of a local guerrilla war on
his hands.

Jim