POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An old poem (in light of the present British weather) : Re: An old poem (in light of the present British weather) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An old poem (in light of the present British weather)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Mar 2014 22:55:10
Message: <5312ab9e@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 11:50:59 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 28/02/2014 10:32 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> The sale went through then?
>>
>> It did - we closed the 13th, and were all packed up on the 18th, on the
>> road on the 19th.
>>

> I thought that it might have, with your silence.

I figured you'd have made that astute observation. ;)

>> We moved in last Friday, but have been getting all of our stuff
>> unpacked and finding places for it.  We went from 3,000 Sq. Ft. to
>> about 1,200, and for the most part we've found places for everything.
>
> A palace!

It certainly is nice.  We still hear emergency vehicles on occasion, but
17 floors up, they're not as loud as on the street going in front of the
house. :)

>> The kitchen's more usable than the old one, but a bit smaller.
>>

> "Usable" is the keyword. :-)

Yep. :)

>>> Congrats!
>>>
>>> A fun time was had by one and all, I guess?
>>
>> Getting the pod packed the last day was hectic (they came a day early,
>> and we ended up shipping 7 boxes that we had thought - very wrongly -
>> would fit in the car), but everything got here in one piece.  We had
>> only two items that had minor damage that will require more than
>> tapping with a hammer.
>>

> That doesn't sound too bad. It can be stressful, moving.

It really can be - but flying the cats was one really important part of
the lower stress.  If I'd had to drive the pass with three screeching
cats, someone would've died, almost certainly.

>>> Was the weather okay?
>>
>> Overall the drive was good, though it was a bit fraught through
>> Snoqualmie Pass.  White-out snow conditions, slushy/icy roads, no more
>> than 20 MPH for a lot of it - and it was after dark.  They closed the
>> pass not long after we went through it, in fact.
>>

> Nasty.

Yeah.  Not as bad as when I moved to Utah (nearly drove off the road into
the abyss), but not something I care to repeat anytime soon.

>> A couple days in a hotel at this end and then we got started moving in.
>>
>> The view I have from my home office, though, is absolutely worth it.
>> We also thought where we were was walkable - but it can't hold a candle
>> to the new place.  We have to drive a little bit to get to CostCo, but
>> other than that, pretty much everything we need is within a two-block
>> radius.
>>

> The metropolitan life. That would suit me better than having to drive
> everywhere.

It's just been amazing how much there is right around us.  The immediate
area is slightly smaller than Salt Lake City (population-wise), but the
metro area is almost double the size (~ 3.5 million people, IIRC).

>> We've just finished hauling out most of the empty boxes and packing
>> material.
>>
>> What's more, I have an Internet connection that actually performs, too
>> - 30 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up (it's rated for 20/5, but actual tests
>> show it being a little faster).  And the wall we wanted to hang the
>> projector screen on is the right shade of white, so I don't actually
>> need the screen - and the picture is bigger than it was on the screen
>> (now about 12' if my estimate is correct).  That's *really* nice.  We
>> watched Star Trek IV once we got the home theater all set up.
>
> Nice.

If only Comcast didn't throttle Netflix.  Watched Ghostbusters last night
(in memoriam of Harold Ramis), and a few times we dropped to 240
resolution.  That shouldn't happen, clearly Comcast is interfering with
the traffic (they're known to do so).

>> Not because it's an outstanding movie, but because our apartment number
>> is 1704 (and die-hard Trek fans will understand why that particular
>> movie is significant when it comes to that number). ;)
>
> Not a Treckie, I am afraid.
>

> Congratulations on your flit. :-)

Thanks! :)

Jim