POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An old poem (in light of the present British weather) : Re: An old poem (in light of the present British weather) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:38:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An old poem (in light of the present British weather)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Feb 2014 17:32:53
Message: <53110e95$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:10:28 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 28/02/2014 6:30 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>   given that I've moved to a place
>> that gets a lot more rain than Utah does.:)
>
> The sale went through then?

It did - we closed the 13th, and were all packed up on the 18th, on the
road on the 19th.

We moved in last Friday, but have been getting all of our stuff unpacked
and finding places for it.  We went from 3,000 Sq. Ft. to about 1,200,
and for the most part we've found places for everything.  The kitchen's
more usable than the old one, but a bit smaller.

> Congrats!
>
> A fun time was had by one and all, I guess?

Getting the pod packed the last day was hectic (they came a day early,
and we ended up shipping 7 boxes that we had thought - very wrongly -
would fit in the car), but everything got here in one piece.  We had only
two items that had minor damage that will require more than tapping with
a hammer.

> Was the weather okay?

Overall the drive was good, though it was a bit fraught through Snoqualmie
Pass.  White-out snow conditions, slushy/icy roads, no more than 20 MPH
for a lot of it - and it was after dark.  They closed the pass not long
after we went through it, in fact.

A couple days in a hotel at this end and then we got started moving in.

The view I have from my home office, though, is absolutely worth it.  We
also thought where we were was walkable - but it can't hold a candle to
the new place.  We have to drive a little bit to get to CostCo, but other
than that, pretty much everything we need is within a two-block radius.

We've just finished hauling out most of the empty boxes and packing
material.

What's more, I have an Internet connection that actually performs, too -
30 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up (it's rated for 20/5, but actual tests show it
being a little faster).  And the wall we wanted to hang the projector
screen on is the right shade of white, so I don't actually need the
screen - and the picture is bigger than it was on the screen (now about
12' if my estimate is correct).  That's *really* nice.  We watched Star
Trek IV once we got the home theater all set up.  Not because it's an
outstanding movie, but because our apartment number is 1704 (and die-hard
Trek fans will understand why that particular movie is significant when
it comes to that number). ;)

Jim