POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : discrete torque : Re: discrete torque Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: discrete torque
From: scott
Date: 28 Feb 2014 04:39:10
Message: <5310593e$1@news.povray.org>
>> [...] it's just an optimisation problem to find the
>> rotation/translation matrix that minimises the sum of the
>> distances between each node pair (or another similar metric).
>> You can use the MS Excel solver [...]
>
> Can it minimize a quadratic function, subject to quadratic constraints?

The Excel solvers are pretty flexible, they are good at handling a wide
range of optimisation problems. Attached is what I came up with for
minimising the distance between nodes on two bodies, it seems to solve
OK with the evolutionary solver and after it's done will give you the
best 4x4 rotation/translation matrix.

BTW in Solver Options you might want to turn down the maximum time
without improvement, I think the default is 30 seconds which is a bit
long (I made it 5 seconds).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'node solver.xlsx.zip' (14 KB)