POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Curmudgeon's Response : Re: A Curmudgeon's Response Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Curmudgeon's Response
From: scott
Date: 24 Feb 2014 09:17:58
Message: <530b5496$1@news.povray.org>
> I used to like that. No problem with vertigo when sitting in a chair or looking
> through a window. It just lost its appeal when I once saw the port prop, winding
> down as we were making a turn to line up with the runway.

At least you hadn't taken off yet, the pilot would have hopefully
figured out they didn't have enough thrust before getting to V1 :-) I
saw a lightning strike on the wing tip once, it was a fairly subdued
bang and I don't think anyone else really noticed. I didn't think
anything of it until another flight which was delayed because they were
"checking the plane over as it got struck by lightning on the way in".

>> A fun one to try is to turn on your GPS navigation and watch
>> how the software tries to handle a car driving in a straight line at 600
>> mph :-)
>
> It is only recently that you have been able to switch your phone on during
> flights. So how do you know? ^^

This was a standalone navigation unit. I think you've been able to use
your phone with the radio turned off for a long time haven't you? The
recent change AFAIK is just that you can use it during take-off and
landing (but still the radio must be off). But I don't fly as much now
so am not really up to speed with this stuff.