POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunning views of Himilayas from Space! : Re: Stunning views of Himilayas from Space! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunning views of Himilayas from Space!
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 17 Feb 2014 09:41:14
Message: <53021f8a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2014-02-17 05:37, scott a écrit :
>>> So in my Yahoo example, given that the Yahoo pages and the charts
>>> themselves all show the Yahoo name and a copyright notice, in theory I
>>> should be free to include these on a web site or app, so long as I make
>>> it clear they come from Yahoo.com (or whatever) and I don't deliberately
>>> hide or obscure the Yahoo name and copyright notice.
>>>

>> That is my understanding, yes. It might still be wise to get permission.
>
> This seems relevant from the European Court:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26187730
>
> "The owner of a website may, without the authorisation of the copyright
> holders, redirect internet users, via hyperlinks, to protected works
> available on a freely accessible basis on another site."
>
> I checked the website in question, and it seems the hyperlinks used give
> no indication where they are going. The page text does not include the
> link address, and the actual address is a local one to that website (I
> assume it gets redirected to the external site once you click it).
>
> So this seems to indicate that you can hyperlink to any freely available
> content without any requirement to inform the user that what they see
> next is not your content.

This means I do not have to ask Christoph Hormann for his permission
before linking to images on his website.  (If that wasn't the case,
Google would have to ask everyone permission to include their stuff in
their search results)

However, it does not mean I can take Christoph's picture, strip the
copyright notice and rehost it to make it appear as one of my own.