POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brownian Motion : Re: Brownian Motion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brownian Motion
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 17 Feb 2014 02:01:08
Message: <5301b3b4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/02/2014 14:38, FractRacer a écrit :
> Le 13/02/2014 23:28, Christian Froeschlin a écrit :
>> Fractracer wrote:
>>
>>> It is about a brownian motion without random numbers, during some
>>> graphics
>>> programming tries I have found a method to obtain a brownian motion
>>> without
>>> random numbers.
>>
>> Another way to look at this would be to say you found a
>> formula for generating reasonable random numbers ;)
>
> Indeed, it seems like a formula for random numbers, but I have not
> enough mathematical knowledge to see if it is really efficient.

The "formula" is not random. It looks erratic, but is not. If you know 1
set of coordinates, you can predict the next ones.

If you are interested on random number without a real source of
randomness, you will get most interesting search results with:
PRNG pseudo random number generator

They usually requires the usage of a hidden state, the generated random
value being only a part of that full state. (such as using a 32 bits
number as internal state, and returning only 16 bits number as random value)

Of course, you know that povray has its own prng... available with
seed() and rand().

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.