POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CPU fan trouble : Re: CPU fan trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:36:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CPU fan trouble
From: Warp
Date: 16 Feb 2014 12:34:38
Message: <5300f6ae@news.povray.org>
> Normally, the CPU fan of my HP Tower PC just functions pretty
> noiselessly and only speeds up in exceptional cases. Suddenly, since
> this morning's start up, it immediately switches to high speed with an
> increased level of noise as a result.

My previous PC had the problem of a very noisy CPU fan. If room temperature
was anything above chill, it would make the fan go wild.

A technician on a shop suggested I check the computer's BIOS settings.
There was some setting along the lines of "try to keep the CPU always
at a temperature less than X" that was turned off. When I turned it on,
the CPU fan went amazingly quiet. I monitored the CPU temperatures, and
they never went up even when I couldn't even hear the CPU fan almost at
all. Only when the weather was really hot it would speed up.
(My new PC has a similar setting, but it was on from the get-go.)

I don't know, however, if this would be the the case in your situation,
especially given that it just happened suddenly, after having worked ok
in the past.

I don't know if, for instance, some Windows update or something like that
could mess up with the BIOS or other hardware settings. (Was there
something like a system update, or something similar, just previous to
the appearance of the problem?)

But check your BIOS settings just in case. There might also be a similar
setting somewhere in your OS (especially if some hardware control software
was installed alongside your motherboard/cpu.)

--
                                                          - Warp