POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Visual arts : Re: Visual arts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual arts
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 11 Feb 2014 16:50:11
Message: <52fa9b13$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/02/2014 09:02 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> "art nouveau" was inspired by tree, flowers, insects, and beats, as a
> reaction to over linear industry-objects of the previous era (Victorian
> "steampunk" is a caricature of that previous era)

I actually kinda like all that steampunk stuff too. (Although, as you
say, it's an exaggeration; nothing like this ever actually existed in
the Victorian era.)

I'm not sure what *caused* art nouveau; I wasn't there. I just know that
it looks visually stunning. (I'm reminded of YES for some reason.) And,
interestingly, it was apparently immediately followed by art deco, which
is the polar opposite of it; flat colours and geometric shapes.

Also, I don't know when they added it, but now if you start typing in
Google, it attempts to finish your search term for you. Which is
fortunate, because "nouveau" is almost impossible to spell.

(There's an open source video driver for various nVidia GPUs which is
named "nouveau" for some reason. Our team spent ages fixing broken
builds due to yet *another* misspelling of this absurd name...)