POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ice/Slush/Snow texture samples, 3 of N : Re: Ice/Slush/Snow texture samples, 3 of N Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ice/Slush/Snow texture samples, 3 of N
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 7 Feb 2014 23:52:36
Message: <52f5b814$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 05.02.2014 01:20, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:

> All I know is my next machine will have a second x5660 and another 24gb in this:
> http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

Oh yes... it was just last summer that I found out that even 16 GiB RAM
are not enough to render even one of these 3600 x 3600 measuring points
ASTER Earth DEMs from the Japanese Space Agency as a curved mesh2... up
to now, I have to content myself with a reduced resolution of 2600 x
2600! I surely would need at least 24 GiB to render only one tile... and
about 128 GiB to correctly render an animation of a full-tilt overland
journey across Afghanistan (you know, Khyberspace!) - from the highest
mountains and passes, one can look at least two tiles far!

And, of course, the CPU should be an AMD K10 hexadeka-core running at 5
GHz (currently a K10 hexa-core at 3.853 GHz)...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar