POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Can't Stand It : Re: Can't Stand It Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't Stand It
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 6 Feb 2014 10:20:09
Message: <52f3a829$1@news.povray.org>

> On 05/02/2014 2:39 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>>>

>> Don't get me started on them...
>
> If it weren't serious it would be funny.
>
> I've read of a restaurant that was closed because their microwave had
> the On/Off switch in English. Another was a report of a Chinese
> Restaurant that was closed because the Chinese name, in ideograms, was
> above the name in French.
>
> I don't know if the stories are true but I read it on the BBC website.
> If that helps.

Both of those are probably false, or gross exagerations of the actual
case, as they don't have the authority to close businesses.  At best
they can fine the Chinese restaurant for not respecting the law, but
they can't force it to close.

As for the english signs on the microwave oven, I'd be very surprised
about that, since it's not the fault of the restauranteur, but of the
microwave maker.